Monday, April 2, 2012

My Experience of Using Online Reference Tools


I use online reference tools mainly for two purposes: one, to raise the awareness of my learners that such tools are there, easily accessible and they should make use of it as a target language resource; second, to help them with comprehending some text or difficult words mainly using an online translator. 
Learners in my class are all Saudi university students with language levels ranging from elementary to intermediate level, and most of them they have English to Arabic dictionary uploaded to their mobiles, and often use it when they need to understand vocabulary involved in the activity. I also sometimes encourage them to check the word in their cell phone dictionary rather than asking me with a view to develop autonomy and the ability to find and use resources in the absence of the teacher.
Regarding online translators, I mainly use them to help my students understand abstract lexical items and phrases which they may find difficult to understand because no similarities can be found for such phrases in their first language. Apart from this use of the translators, recently, as a part of a WebQuest students were asked to use online translator to help them comprehend contents of the websites included in the WebQuest. However, the students were thoroughly made aware of the pitfalls of absolute dependence on such translation tools.
As for myself, I consistently use English to Arabic dictionary as a teaching tool. I use it to translate abstract vocabulary in Arabic and then ask one of the students to read the words in Arabic to the class, and also helping them, thanks to my little knowledge of Arabic, to choose which shades of meanings are contextually relevant or irrelevant.
I have never happened to weave a complete lesson or activity around online reference tools so far.      

No comments:

Post a Comment